Animale Amber Gris 2020
Animale Pinot Gris 2020 is a side project made by Dave Mackintosh from Arifon wines in the Yarra Valley. This is a light juicy skin contact Pinot Gris that is a great entry point into orange/skin contact wines and $26 a bottle its great value. Orange peel, citrus notes, slight tangerine notes, roses, pear, hints of spice, fine tannins, and good acidity make it very easy drinking.
'From teenage Pinot Gris vines on a gentle west-facing slop of ironstone rich, grey/brown clay loams in the Gruyere sub-region. Picked in early March, approximately 70% of the Cahillton Pinot Gris was pressed directly to tank on full solids to undergo natural fermentation. Fermentation was allowed to peak at 24 degrees and, with regular lees stirring, we were able to get the desired savoury edge. The remaining 30% of the fruit was gently de-stemmed to open-top fermenters to get some skin contact. Natural fermentation started after a few days, and we started to push the grapes around to extract colour, flavour and tannin. After 2 weeks on skins the grapes were pressed direct to barrel to undergo malolactic fermentation and aging for a few months. Once everything was nice and stable, the skinsy Gris was put together with the fresher pressed version. To enhance complex characters and mouthfeel, the wines were chilled lightly and left without sulphur until just before bottling. No fining or filtration.'